Tuesday, June 05, 2007

You are my Imaginary Friend

My brain often works in second person; I hear my thoughts as a monologue spoken to a silent partner. To-do-lists, memories, and novel ideas become retrospective stories, as do issues that I need to work through and musings about the future.

The listener's identity has varied, but has always been a person -- a teacher, an old friend, a reporter, or my grandchild. This person never speaks, but my stories are somehow a response to his or her questions.

And then I started blogging.

You rarely read them, but these monologues are now framed as blog posts. As I go through my daily life -- folding laundry, driving, sweeping the floor -- I compose essays for this blog. I don't actually transcribe all of these mutterings (yes,my lips sometimes move as I think), but if I did, I would be the world's most prolific blogger.

3 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

LOL, You need to blog more!!
I do the same, should I be worried?

Unknown said...

I totally do this too, especially when I'm somewhere away from my computer (vacation, travelling, workshop, conference). The difference is that I often end up writing it and posting it. Hee.

Gottfredsen said...

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one that does this. LOL.