Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lenten Linkage

  • Preschooling moms will appreciate Ironic Catholic's interpretation of the Dr. Seauss classic Green Eggs and Ham:
I am Sam
I am Sam
Sam I am

(The narrative opens with a direct reference to YHWH, "I am who am". Sam is symbolically connected to the Ultimate Good using three syllables per three lines, an indirect trinitarian reference. As Sam will be found to be the instigator of temptation, this triplet announces Sam as an anti-Christ figure, and sets up the dark nature of the book. Henceforth, he shall be referred to as Sam/Satan.)

(read the whole "Twisted Lenten Drama" at Ironic Catholic)
  • Becky responds to Mary about non-Catholics "doing" Lent. They both initially see Lenten devotions as empty ritual, but are coming to understand the power of ritual, discipline and symbolic suffering in bringing us closer to Christ. Becky closes her post with a very interesting question:
Is a religious habit a bad thing? Initially my thought is that as long as it isn't just a habit or ritual and something done with seriousness and observation and reflection to better my relationship with God, it couldn't be wrong. It could be beneficial.
I have been using this question to frame my prayer-time for the past few days. My thoughts are far too complex to reduce to a blog comment, but I will try to have a post-length formulation of my answer soon.

No comments: