Friday, March 20, 2009

A Week of Posts

There are several ways to tackle a 7 Quick Takes Post -- today I will do a quick summary of the posts that I didn't get the chance to write over the course of the week.



  1. Even if it weren't for my Lenten discipline of staying off of the computer when the children are awake, I would not have been online very much this week. For the first time in the children's memories, March has felt springlike in New Hampshire. We have spent every possible moment outdoors enjoying the tropical temperatures. For those of you south of Boston, anything above 40 degrees qualifies as "tropical" in our minds. For comparison's sake, here is a picture from last March and a picture from yesterday:













  2. Of course, there is a reason we call this "mud season."

    Any volunteers to help me keep up laundry over the next few weeks?



  3. We have also been very busy learning about saints this week with two important feast days. In addition to cooking a boiled dinner for the extended family, we learned about Saint Patrick, shamrocks, and the trinity on Tuesday. We colored this shamrock and talked about how the shamrock can be used as an analogy for God in three persons. We also sang a cute "3 in 1" song sung to the tune of "Frère Jacques." On Thursday we reread a few nativity stories from the children's Bible and colored this image of the Holy Family in honor of St. Joseph's feast day.



  4. I never got around to posting this week's Unplugged project or last week's art gallery picture. Here are both:


  5. We marbelized paper by dripping colored oil onto water, then floating the paper on top. Amazing effect, but very messy project. We used syringes instead of droppers, and my fine-motor delayed child had a very difficult time. That child, however, is the one who has asked to repeat the project, so you may see more oil-slicked art in our future.



  6. I never posted books for the week either, probably because I was reading too much! Over the past week I have read The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Nourishing Traditions, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, and started in on Against Medical Advice: One Family's Struggle with an Agonizing Medical Mystery. I probably owe y'all a good book post soon.



  7. In place of "Works for me Wedensday," here is my tip of the week: To make rolls, mix up your favorite bread recipe, then divide into small balls after the first rise. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes, then form into miniature boules. That's it! When I make rolls for salmon burgers I use Easiest French Bread, and put some kosher salt and rosemary sprigs on top of each roll. (Yes, yes, I read Nourishing Traditions and I am still using processed flour and farm-raised fish. I am trying to eat naturally, really I am!)

  8. And finally.... This week's art gallery:

2 comments:

Lerin said...

#3... you make me feel like such a slacker! ;) I didn't do anything special for St Patrick's this year, not even wearing green. I was too darn tired that day for anything!! I must take some of your ideas for next year. :)

Garden State Kate said...

We are not as muddy here, but we didn't have much snow either.
I love the paintings hanging..such a happy home!
You are such a warm and wonderful
Momma!