Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thanksgiving Menu

We'll be having turkey for Thanksgiving. How 'bout y'all?

We are hosting a small T-day get-together for the warillever family -- just me, Mr. warillever, his mother, Uncle Ichabod, and the Agents. Nothing like the forty-person dinners that I'm used to at my folks' house.

Dinner for six should not be stressful -- I do it frequently -- but this is the mother of all feasts, a holiday based upon the abundance of tasty food. I am a little nervous. I have my menu planned, and have been testing out squash dishes for weeks. By the way, I have settled on butternut squash casserole from Allrecipes.com. It is too sweet for my taste, but Mr. warillever approved of it, which might be a first for him on a cooked veggie.

Otherwise, everything will be quite plain:

  • Turkey
  • gravy (jars as backup)
  • mashed potatoes
  • squash casserole (make on Wednesday, in oven last hour of turkey)
  • green beans (steam on stove)
  • corn (frozen)
  • carrots (boil on stove)
  • stuffing (Thursday am)
  • cranberry sauce (from can)
  • crackers/pretzels/breadsticks (from bags)
  • veggies (chop, blanch some)
  • 3 dips (Wednesday evening)
  • oatmeal raisin cookies (kids make Tuesday)
  • apple pie (kids make Monday, bake Tuesday)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's just the two of us this year, but I'm planning:

Lemon green beans with pine nuts
Manchego smashed red potatoes
Mushroom crepes
Pecan Pie with chocolate cinnamon whipped cream

reprehriestless warillever said...

That sounds fancy!
In my veggie years, I ate the standard T-day fare minus the turkey and gravy. There is nothing better than my mom's bread stuffing.....

Ruth said...

Sounds yummy to me! Happy Thanksgiving :)

Sean Carter said...

Your menu does sound quite yummy...and if you want some pecipes and ideas you can definitely find a few at my Thanksgiving Blog so visit soon and have a great Thanksgiving celebration!!!!!