Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Breakfast Ideas

Someone please help me come up with a good breakfast rotation for my family. We have been stuck in a yogurt and/or boxed cereal rut for years, and I'd love to come up with some nutritious, simple ideas.

The kids LOVE oatmeal, but I have a hard time dedicating time to cooking breakfst when my attention is already divided between starting the woodstove, overseeing toileting and dressing, packing lunches, and making sure that Agent 002 gets outside in time for his school bus.

Instant oatmeal just doesn't pass nutritional muster, nor do frozen waffles or toaster pastry.

I occasionally make and freeze muffins or waffles, but not often enough to rescue us from our breakfast rut.

I tried letting the apliances do the work for me and packed steel cut oats, apples, raisins, and lots of water into the crockpot.

Yuck! I won't bother passing on our crockpot oatmeal recipe. Mr warillever and I ate our servings, grateful for a warm, if not wonderful, breakfast; the kids despised it. Even Little P left a half-empty bowl.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Baked oatmeal! There are other grain versions too, like with couscous. E-mail me if you're interested and I'll send you the recipes I have. Both can be eaten hot or cold, which means they can be made in advance!

Ruth said...

http://www.moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/35_and_40_menus/

This blogger posts her menus every week and her breakfasts always look nutritious and yummy. Scroll down for more.

Homemade Happenings said...

We eat a lot of mini pancakes with fresh fruit on top. You can make the batter ahad of time and it keeps for a couple days. We also do fruit smoothies.

Julie said...

Your whole wheat energy couscous would be perfect (though, not hot/warm in winter).

This morning we had oatmeal.

Last night, I soaked about 1.5 cups of rolled oats (not quick cooking kind) in enough water to cover them...in the saucepan that I cooked them in this morning. This morning, I turned on the burner and just added water to the consistency that I liked. It cooked less than 3 minutes. Once off the stove, I added a bit of milk, butter and maple syrup + salt.

The soaking reduces the cook time.

Hubby likes to make scrambled eggs. We cooked together this morning. I don't like eggs, though I'll eat them if there's enough salsa or hot sauce to go with. :)